However, the workers initially had to walk the long distances to their jobs so sought a railway to open up the Köller valley.
The Lebach–Völklingen railway is a single-track branch line that originally ran from Lebach to Völklingen in the German state of the Saarland.Then construction, mainly carried out by Croatian and Italian workers, began in 1909.The southern end of the new line was not connected directly to the Saar line at Völklingen station.Instead, it was connected about two kilometres east of it, near the later Heidstock station, to a line that had existed since 1872, connecting Völklingen to the Grube Viktoria (Victoria pit, named after Victoria, Princess Royal) in Püttlingen. Simultaneously, a Grubenanschlussbahn "pit siding" was built from Etzenhofen to the Grube Dilsburg (Dilsburg pit).On 16 November 1911, the first coal train left the mine.
Directly afterwards it crossed the Saar Line via a bridge, then connected with the southern side of Völklingen station.During the First World War, the route served military purposes.Unter den gestrengen Augen riesiger Echsen im Praehistorium Gondwana in Landsweiler-Reden liegt hin und wieder ein kleiner Kerl mit Pfeil und Bogen auf der Lauer. Sein Anliegen ist älter als die schuppigen Requisiten: zusammenführen, was die Liebe als perfekt vorsieht.It is also called the Köllertalbahn (Koller Valley Railway) because it ran through the Köller valley.