As Osnabrück’s oldest town church, it has a central location in the city. With the modernisation of the building’s heating systems in 1958 as well as internal and external renovation work from 1987 to 1992, there arose further opportunities to conduct research into the architectural history of St. The excavations were carried out by the federal curator of Lower Saxony under the scientific supervision of the then-curators Dr. The extensive excavations managed to establish the existence of at least three predecessor buildings.The Marienkirche is located directly on the market place, next to the Stadtwaage (city weighing house) and the town hall. The oldest predecessor church was a hall building, constructed on a sandy island-like knoll during the 10th century. Marien and is regarded as its architectural origin.As the construction project was linked to the establishment of a market, it can be assumed that the initial purpose of the building was for it to be a market church for the city of Osnabrück.The single-nave long building, without a transept but with an almost semicircular apsis, was positioned before an open, two-storied vestibule to the west.
However, the history of the church’s construction began some time before it was first mentioned in writing.Attached to the chancel on the north side is the quadratic sacristy, covering four bays.This has four arches, all buttressed by one central compound pier. The nave is 20.56 metres long in total, which represents only a slight difference from the length and width measurements (roughly 25.5 and 24.5 metres respectively). The central nave is only slightly wider than the side aisles.A three-aisled basilica with three semicircular altar apses and no transept was built.The core masonry of the western tower and the tower building are the only parts of this building which remain today.
Single community Osnabrück
The most recent of the three predecessor churches was built during the 12th century.The single-nave roofed hall was expanded to include two narrow side aisles.Both side aisles are four bays deep, these having a slight oblong shape. The central nave is separated from the side aisles by archways consisting of large compound piers.The buttress of the Marienkirche in Osnabrück is given a very vivid design by the pinnacles as well as the neo-Gothic balustrades.
This dynamic image contrasts with the sober forms of nearby St.
The subsequent conversion of the rectangular chancel into a basilica chancel around 1430-40 brought work on the Marienkirche to a temporary end.
The damage caused during World War II was repaired concurrently alongside the archaeological excavations; the repair work was finished by 1950.
During the 13th and 14th centuries the three-aisled basilica was transformed into a Gothic hall church.
Four more stories were added to the western tower and the chancel took on a rectangular shape.