This includes apartment blocks, terraced housing, areas with single-family houses and allotments, plus the remaining part of the old Valby village, around which the district has formed, intermingled with past and present industrial sites.Valby Hill marks the boundary between Valby and the — more central and more urban — neighbouring Vesterbro district.The first holder of the license was Hans Pedersen Bladt, a skillful merchant who was elected mayor of Copenhagen in 1675.Valby also profited from the proximity of Frederiksberg Palace which was constructed from 1699 to 1703 atop Valby Hill as a new summer residence for King Frederick IV.
The station was closed in 1864 when the second main station in Copenhagen opened and the railway was rerouted through Frederiksberg station instead. Jacobsen to the site and he founded his Carlsberg Brewery in 1847 on the eastern slopes of the hill. Over the following decades both breweries grew and were later merged.a Crown estate which included most of the area around Havn, the small market town which later became Copenhagen.In 1167, Valdemar I granted both Havn and the Utterslev estate to the Bishop's Seat of Roskilde but in 1417 the villages came under the Crown once again when King Eric VII made Copenhagen a royal possession.Both during the civil war leading up to the Reformation (1533–1536) and during the Assault on Copenhagen in the Second Northern War, Valby was faced with almost complete destruction (1658–60), leading to deep poverty for the communities.In 1682, Valby had 13 farms and 25 houses with no more land than a modest garden.
F L Smidth & Co relocated its activities to a huge site in central Valby in 1956.The remains of Old Valby are located in the northern part of the district on Valby Langgade, the old road to Roskilde, which today extends from Carlsberg, as the continuation of Pile Allé, and runs west along the municipal border with Frederiksberg until it finally joins the new Roskildevej at Damhus Lake.In 1721, the king granted the community new trading privileges and a Rytterskole, a precursor of the Danish public school, was built the following year. Valby became particularly associated with raising poultry which the Valby women sold beside the Caritas Well on Gammeltorv in Copenhagen.The expression "west of Valby Hill" is in Danish often used as a metonym for "the provinces" or "outside Copenhagen".
Separated from the rest of Copenhagen by Vestre Cemetery, Denmark's largest cemetery, towards Vesterbro/Kongens Enghave and Søndermarken-Frederiksberg Gardens towards Frederiksberg, the Carlsberg brewery site, and areas of low density, Valby retains a certain air of 'independence', or isolation, even today.He was followed by other members of the bourgeoisie.When the first railway out of Copenhagen opened in 1847, a 30 km rail line to Roskilde, it had an intermediate station slightly east of where Valby station lies today.The following year the Danish Cotton Factories opened their Valby Spinning Mill in central Valby.Other companies established in the area early in the century were Carl Aller's Aller Press and C. Rich & Sønner, a manufacturer of coffee substitutes.